About the camp
The Northern Ontario School of Medicine, the Government of Nunavut, Nunavut Arctic College, Qaujigiartiit Health Research Centre, Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated, and Nunavut’s Regional Inuit Associations are working together to host a Health Careers Camp for Youth*
The camp will take place in Iqaluit the week of May 6-10, 2019 The camp’s home base will be at Nunavut Arctic College (NAC), with camp activities taking place at Qikiqtani General Hospital, and in NAC’s simulation lab and classrooms. 20 Inuit youth in grades 9 and 10 from all regions of Nunavut will be participate in a week-long camp where they will:
- Have a chance to practice hands-on clinical skills (suturing, casting, and more);
- Visit and explore the places where health professionals train and work (such as Nunavut Arctic College and Qikiqtani General Hospital);
- Meet youth from across Nunavut who are interested in health careers;
- Meet Inuit health professionals and ask them about their jobs and their training; and
- Find out what education and training is needed for all different health careers (from CHR to physiotherapy assistant, to nurse or doctor or clerk interpreter) so they can plan their courses and their training path now.
This project is intended to promote health careers among Nunavummiut and is based on a similar camp model in Northern Ontario. https://www.nosm.ca/camp/ A video of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine’s (NOSM’s) camp can be seen here: https://youtu.be/lp8zx8ywGRo
Questions about this camp can be directed to:
NVision Insight Group Inc.